Tour De France
The ‘Tour de France’ is coming to Essex!
It gives us great pleasure to circulate further information on this exciting event which will showcase Essex to a global audience of over 2 billion and offer a once in a lifetime experience for many of its residents. You will find a summary of key information below.
For further information please go to http://www.essex.gov.uk/Pages/Tour-de-France.aspx where you will be able to see more information and also a range of Frequently Asked Questions around the event. You will also find a route map showing which roads are to be closed on the day.
The Visit Essex site http://www.visitessex.com/events/tour-de-france.aspx also contains a wealth of information to help your understanding and enjoyment of the event on the day.
Where and when is the Tour de France in Essex?
In 2014 the Tour de France returns to the UK for 3 stages. The Yorkshire Grand Depart comprises two stages – Leeds to Harrogate and York to Sheffield. The Tour moves south for a third stage which begins in Cambridge, before entering 4 districts of Essex (Uttlesford, Braintree, Chelmsford and Epping Forest). Stage 3 finishes in London.
- Saturday 5th July – Stage One: Leeds – Harrogate: 190km (118 miles)
- Sunday 6th July – Stage Two: York – Sheffield: 200km (125 miles)
- Monday 7th July – Stage Three: Cambridge-Essex- London: 159km (106 miles)
Which roads will close and when?
The scale of the event is huge with 200 riders, 2,000 vehicles and up to 5,000 officials and press staff. The event organisers will work with all agencies to ensure the minimum road closure timeframe is in place but it is anticipated the closures will be in place for up to 8 hours. Special dispensation will be given to emergency services.
The route of stage 3 of the Tour de France 2014 can be found at http://www.essex.gov.uk/Pages/Tour-de-France.aspx. The route will be closed as follows:
- The route in Uttlesford and Braintree will close at 7.30am
- The route in Chelmsford and Epping Forest will close at 8.00am
- Target reopening times are 4.00pm for Uttlesford and Braintree and 5.00pm for Chelmsford and Epping Forest. We shall open the road after the race as soon as we possibly can.
ECC State: Roads which lead directly to the route will be ‘access only’ from the junction closest to the route. A small amount of these roads may be closed. We shall update this site with further information as soon as we have it.